My grandmother, with whom I share the same middle name, used to sing a little song to me when I was little prior to tickling me with her fingers (which posed as a bee), "There once was a bee who lived in a tree; and all he could do was bzzzzz sting, sting, sting sting...." (then the tickling ensued).

This site is in memory of her and the warmth all grandmothers and mothers give in making good food and creating memories in the kitchen.

Friday, January 23, 2015

A Wonderful Spinach Salad

I rarely meet a salad I don't like. In fact, they excite me.
Recently, I went with a couple of friends to eat lunch at this cute bistro and ordered the spinach salad.
What a refreshing change this little salad was. I know, it's not all that unique, but I was expecting the typical fruity, red-tinted vinaigrette with strawberries. However, it came out with a creamy dressing adorned with oranges and most likely a goat cheese -- which I also love.

Reflecting upon how much I really enjoyed that salad, I later called the bistro and asked them what kind of dressing it was. They politely told me it was a poppy seed dressing. I immediately thought of this dressing:

So, you can imagine the next time I went to the grocery store, I bought it! It was the perfect dressing. Who knows if that's what they used, but I was able to recreate the recipe and add a little variation of my own. In fact, I don't know that it is anything like it other than the spinach and recipe clone. But, here's what has been making me giddy this week for lunch -- accompanied by my caffeine free diet Coke, of course. 

Spinach Salad -- Makes One Lovely Serving
1 bunch of baby spinach
2 thinly sliced mushrooms
1/4 c. sliced mozzarella cheese
1/2 can of mandarin oranges (save the other half in the fridge for tomorrow's lunch)
Grilled Chicken Breast, sliced thinly
Top with Litehouse Poppy Seed Dressing

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment